$40 early registration through July 31
$45 August 1-September 30
$50 October 1-Race Day
$20 early registration through July 31
$25 August 1-September 30
$30 October 1-Race Day
**Runners can sign up for all 3 races in the trail series at a discounted price!
10K/15K/Half ($100) or 5K ($50) through July 31
10K/15K/Half ($115) or 5K ($60) August 1-31
10K/15K/Half ($125) or 5K ($70) September 1-23
In the second race of the series, the Hidden Valley 15K, runners will get to experience the beauty of the Shepaug River, lookout summits of the valley below, the quartz mine, and the iconic Thoreau Bridge at the entrance to the park. The 15K course is more gentle rolling in nature and is not quite as much elevation per mile as the Macricostas 10K, but still has it’s challenges with plenty of singletrack and a few short steep climbs to lookout points. The shorter 5K option will include at least one of the lookout points plus the crossing of the Thoreau Bridge just before the finish. Again, hikers and walkers are more than welcome in the 5K!
T-shirts will be offered to all preregistered runners in the 15K.
Refund Policy: There will no refunds and/or no transfers of your registration or bib to any other person. Entry fees collected are used to develop and produce the event, starting well in advance of the race date--including course preparation, race supplies, permits, and administration.
Hikers/walkers are welcome to do the 5K. Runners wishing to drop down from the 15K race to 5K may do so before race day by emailing the race director.
Location / Directions / Parking
Race Headquarters and entrance to parking will be located at the Washington Volunteer Fire Department at 109 Bee Brook Rd.(Route 47), Washington, CT. Parking will be located at the firehouse as well as to the south in the grass. PLEASE DO NOT park on Route 47. Your car will be towed if you do so. The Start/Finish will be located across the street and north of the firehouse on Route 47 at the entrance to Hidden Valley Preserve. There will be NO parking allowed on race day at the preserve.
15K: The second race in the Steep Rock Trail Series, the Hidden Valley 15K, starts near the entrance to the preserve where runners will begin with a gentle singletrack climb in the first mile before reaching an overlook point around the 1.25 mile mark. A few short steep ups and downs along with gentle rolling trails for the next few miles as the course winds towards the northeastern section of the preserve. A quick trip onto the pavement of Sabbaday Lane and it’s another quick climb to the highest point on the course just past 5 miles. A 300’ downhill drop in the next mile provides a welcome relief to the runners as they descend back down towards the river. The next few miles are generally flat along the river with a little side trip through an old quartz mine. Just before mile 8, it’s across the river on a several tiered wooden bridge with steps leading to the opposite side. A quick short ⅜ mile climb with a few switchbacks and it’s all downhill to the finish for the last mile on sweet buttery singletrack. A quick trip across the Thoreau Bridge and runners arrive at the finish line! This is an extremely beautiful course, but requires strong discipline to start slow and finish strong!
5K: The 5K course will start in the same direction as the 15K course, with a slight variation in the first mile. Runners will then head along the Van Sinderen Trail parallel to the river before dropping down to the wooden bridge at the northern end of the preserve. They will then follow the 15K course for the last approximately 1.5 miles to the finish.
Race Day Schedule
Sunday, October 29, 2017
- 6:30 a.m. Packet Pickup/Race Day Registration
- 8:00 a.m. 15K Race Start
- 8:30 a.m. 5K Race Start
- 10:00 a.m. Awards Ceremony begins
Will we have water and/or electrolyte drink at the aid station for the Hidden Valley 15K/5K. Steep Endurance events are "cupless" races. Runners are required to carry their own hydration bottle, pack, or cup. This policy is put into effect in an effort to reduce the amount of waste and adopt a sustainable “green” practice for the series and the sport of trail running.
Blue/Orange Trail Intersection (2.3 Miles)
Sabbaday Lane (4.3 Miles) As runners are leaving Sabbaday Lane and re-entering the trail...before the climb to the highest point on the course.
Pedestrian Bridge (7.8 Miles) As runners are approaching the bridge, heading south via the Van Sinderen (Yellow circle) trail, there will be an aid station next to the bridge. Runners in the 5K race will have access to this aid station as well at 1.6 miles.
These rules are meant to make your experience during any Steep Rock Trail Series event a positive one. Most of these are common sense type policies that you will see at any trail or ultra race.
- Absolutely No Littering! The vast majority of each course is on Steep Rock Association preserve land. Please respect that we are using their 3 amazing and beautiful trail systems for our races. Failure to do so could jeopardize the future of the series.
- Race entries/bib numbers are not transferrable--hence NO unofficial runners
- Following the marked course is mandatory. Please do not cut the course, cut any switchbacks, etc. Any runner caught doing so will be disqualified. In addition, if you get lost on the trail/road you must return to the point at which you lost the trail. The course will be well marked with ribbons and other necessary course markings.
- Though the course will be VERY well marked, runners are ultimately responsible for knowing the course and carrying course maps if necessary.
- Please respect others that are on the trail. Most of the trails on the course are open to the public and some are fairly well travelled (especially those in the main Steep Rock Preserve). Please announce your intentions to pass if you are coming upon a hiker or another runner.
- If you must use the bathroom, please try to do so very discreetly a good distance off the trail before returning to the race.
- If at anytime you intend to drop out of the race, please do so at an aid station/checkpoint by notifying the aid station captain. Surrendering your bib to the aid station captain will serve as notice of withdrawal/DNF for the race. Failure to follow these policies means somebody has to come looking for you. While this isn’t a marathon/ultra race, it is a trail race with some remote sections of trail, where we will be forced to have someone come looking for you and in some cases, local authorities (at your cost).
- Smoking is not permitted on any of the trails or at any checkpoint by runners (probably shouldn’t be doing during a trail race anyway). Alcoholic beverages are also not permitted in any sections of the Steep Rock Preserves.
- The use of personal music devices is strongly discouraged at this race. To enjoy all that our race has to offer and for the safety of all participants, the Steep Rock Trail Series encourages a headphone-free environment during the running of the race. We believe your race experience and those around you will be greatly enhanced by leaving the headphones at home or in the car. Running headphone-free allows opportunities to develop camaraderie with your fellow runners and to enjoy everything the race has to offer. Plus, volunteers and spectators will be on course cheering you on and providing directions to help get you to the finish line. Runner safety will be a top priority for our events.
- SMILE and enjoy the race! You are lucky to be enjoying these beautiful trails!
Each race in the Steep Rock Trail Series will offer awards in the following age groups for both men and women:
Overall, 19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60 and up.
Special “Steep Rock Trail Series” awards will be given for series winners in the following categories:
Overall Male/Female (1st, 2nd, and 3rd), Masters Male/Female (1st).
Medals will also be given to any participant who signs up for IN ADVANCE and RUNS in each of the three Steep Rock Trail Series events.
Post Race Celebration
You’ve just finished a super challenging course! Enjoy your accomplishment, sit back, relax, and don’t forget to cheer on all the runners coming in behind you! We will have the usual spread including bagels, bananas, pizza, non-alcoholic hydration options. **There is no alcohol permitted in any of the Steep Rock Association Preserves.